The Process :
The Gramitherm® process extracts from raw grass cellulose fibres (used to produce Gramitherm®) and « juices » supplied to biogas units as energy booster or producing a nutritive concentrate for animal food (pigs and hens) which is currently under development and testing.
The Gramitherm® process secures a full utilisation of all grass components, and genarates high efficiency and added value to the raw material.
Our philosophy is to create value for our customers/partners and to moderate our impact on the environment.
The Gramitherm® patented innovation is unique and based on 3 key steps :
- the «silage» grass sourcing (partnership with local farmers) ; 1 acre of land will allow to produce 200 M3 of insulating products !
- the grass fibres extraction from the raw material ; valorization of the « juice » ; drying and opening fibres
- and finally the semi-rigid boards production (AIR-LAY process, thermobonding oven).
Gramitherm® offers excellent protection against cold. Thanks to its high specific heat capacity, it also offers very efficient protection against heat. Furthermore, it effectively absorbs sound over a wide range of frequency. Protection against fire and fungi is secured by harmless additives.
Gramitherm® is compressible and ideal for roof application between rafters. It is easy to cut (with a simple cutter) to the requested dimensions on site, and it can be handled fast and easy (it is not itchy).
To produce Gramitherm®, local resources are integrated into a regional value chain for local markets. Agriculture is a key production partner.
|Thermal conductivity λ||0,040 W/m,K.|
|Heat transfer coefficient U||0,226 W/m2,K (Layer Thickness 15 cm)|
|Soundproofing||High sound absorption over a wide frequency range|
|Binder fibers||derived from starch|
|Specific heat capacity c||1.6 – 2.1 kJ/kg,K.|
|Vapor diffusion resistance μ||1-2 (open to diffusion)|
|Moisture behavior||Absorbs and desorbs moisture|
|Dimensional stability (EU-Norm 1604)||Dimensional variance max. +/-1%|
|Resistance against fungal attack (DIN IEC 68-2-10)||No growth|
|Fire behaviour (EN 13501-1)||Category E|
Gramitherm® has received the European Technical Homologation ETA-06/0274. This certification authorizes Gramitherm® products to be sold in all countries of the European Union.
Embodied energy, greenhouse gas and different environmental impacts linked to Gamitherm’s® production have been checked by a specialized laboratory of the Engineering School of Yverdon (Switzerland). The methodology is a lifecycle analysis using the database “Ecoinvent”, which is an international reference in this matter.
The comparison with other widespread insulating products highlights the unique competitive advantages offered by Gramitherm®
- The carbon footprint of Gramitherm® is negative (therefore, a positive impact !) as the CO2 produced during the different production phases is less important than the CO2 captured by grass during its growth !
- The energy that is used during Gramitherm’s® production is 20% lower than for other products such as extruded polystyrene.
The environmental impact of Gramitherm’s® production consists in grass culture, the addition of fire-resistant products, the fibres used as bindings and heat emission during manufacturing process. We have developed our collection with products using starch based natural binding fibres and we keep on working hard to reduce further our need for heat production. Our fire-resistant material is harmless to human health. Besides, the environmental impacts’ analysis does not take into consideration the other multiple advantages of grass culture for soil quality and farmland management.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Grass grows naturally and does not need any plowing or expensive treatments.
- In the production process of Gramitherm, digestible materials are dissociated from fibres to be used separately (animal food and fertilizer).
- 1 acre of grass = 200 m3 of Gramithem, i.e. insulation for 7 family houses.
- 1000 acres would supply 5% of Switzerland insulation market, i.e. 0.1% of the country grassland.
- Gramitherm production is not in competition with food production.
- Loss and waste from production are entirely recyclable.